Information about Urology
Get gentle care for sensitive issues
Our urologists are specialists in the male and female urinary tracts and the male reproductive system. As surgeons, they have extensive training in advanced robotic surgery, endoscopy, laparoscopy, and open surgery. Vasectomy, vasectomy reversal, urination problems, kidney stones, and urologic cancers are all issues our doctors commonly address. They focus on providing state-of-the-art care while providing a comfortable environment for patients.
Our providers offer UroLift® System treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (an enlarged prostate). This minimally invasive procedure relieves urination problems while preserving sexual function so men can get back to life.
If you have urologic concerns, ask your primary care provider for a referral.
Our diagnostic and surgical techniques include:
- da Vinci Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Laser surgery
- Microscopic surgery
- Open surgery (minor and major)
- Shock wave lithotripsy (for kidney stone treatment)
- UroLift® System
The conditions we treat include:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Bladder prolapse
- Cancer (prostate, bladder, kidney, testis, ureter, penis, etc.)
- Genitourinary trauma
- Hematuria (blood in urine)
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction)
- Kidney stones
- Urethral diverticulum
- Urethral strictures
- Urinary incontinence (leakage)
- Urinary tract infections
- Voiding problems (overactive bladder symptoms and difficulty voiding)
We also offer vasectomy and vasectomy reversal.
Our pediatric services include:
- Hernia/hydrocele treatment
- Undescended testis surgery
- Urinary tract infection treatment
What should I expect during my first visit?
During your first visit you may need to give a urine sample, so please don’t urinate before checking in with our staff. You will also be asked to fill out paperwork, which gives our providers important information about how to care for you. After a nurse or medical assistant takes your vitals, your provider will meet with you to discuss the details of your urologic issues. Your provider may also review imaging and perform a physical exam that may include a pelvic, genital, and/or rectal exam.
What types of questions will my provider ask?
Common questions include:
- When did your symptoms start?
- How long have they occurred?
- What started it?
- What does it feel like?
- What makes it better or worse?
- Is it improving, staying the same, or getting worse?
- What have you tried so far?
What is the UroLift® System?
The UroLift® System is a procedure designed to provide relief to men with an enlarged prostate—a common problem for men as they age. Men with this condition often have symptoms including a weak or slow urinary stream and a frequent need to urinate throughout the day and night. The UroLift System moves tissue out of the way of the urethra. Tiny implants create a permanent, unobstructed pathway that allows for normal urine flow. The entire procedure takes under an hour. No prostate tissue is cut or removed and sexual function is preserved. For many men, the UroLift System is a preferred alternative to medications and more invasive surgical options. A urologist can review your medical history, symptoms, and lifestyle and perform an exam to help determine whether the UroLift System is right for you.
If I need a procedure or surgery, what happens next?
The typical process for arranging a surgery or procedure includes a few steps:
- After you and your provider have made the decision to proceed, your provider will submit a request for authorization to your insurance carrier.
- Once authorization is received you will be contacted by our scheduling department to set up a day and time that work for you.
Where do surgeries occur?
Our surgeons perform procedures at Vancouver Clinic’s Ambulatory Surgery Center, at Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center, and at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. If your provider recommends surgery, our surgery schedulers will schedule you at the medical center that is most suited for your procedure. All of our surgery sites are local:
- Ambulatory Surgery Center: 700 NE 87th Ave. Suite 320, Vancouver, WA 98664
- Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center: 2211 NE 139th St., Vancouver, WA 98686
- PeaceHealth SW Washington Medical Center: 400 NE Mother Joseph Place, Vancouver, WA 98664