History in the making
In 1936, Dr. John Brougher, a gynecologist, invited Dr. Frank Boersma, a family practitioner, to join him in his practice. The two provided medical care to the local community from an office in downtown Vancouver. To expand their thriving practice, they were joined by a surgeon in 1937 and a pediatrician in 1939. The group selected The Vancouver Medical and Surgical Center as a name for their practice. The name was officially shortened to The Vancouver Clinic in 1941, and Vancouver Clinic in 2018.
Vancouver Clinic expanded steadily, adding both clinicians and patients. The clinic outgrew its original office suite, as well as its own building created in 1956. It also outgrew additions to that property and the space available at four houses purchased in the vicinity. In 1978, with between 25 and 40 new patients joining the clinic each day, the clinic found itself at a crossroads.
Vancouver Clinic leaders responded by building a substantially larger facility close to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. That building on 87th Avenue became the largest facility for private practice in the county. Our Salmon Creek Clinic sits across the street from the area’s other major hospital, Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center.
Today, at 12 locations strong, Vancouver Clinic is the largest private, multispecialty clinic in Clark County. With more than 1,200 employees and 400 providers, we are also one of the largest employers in the region and a powerhouse for the local economy.
Vancouver Clinic continues to build facilities and add services throughout the county to serve the rapidly growing population and to remain the region’s top private source of health care services. Our reputation for health care excellence and a collegial atmosphere allow us to attract top-quality providers from around the nation.
Breaking new ground
Dr. John C. Brougher broke ground for the 87th Avenue clinic on January 21, 1978.
Our mission and values
Caring for people is our first priority.
To improve the health of our communities by providing high-quality, compassionate care.
Together, we will transform health care by promoting clinical excellence, collaboration, and innovation.
- Compassion: We provide patient-centered care with kindness, empathy, and integrity at each interaction.
- Advocacy: We partner with our patients, families, and communities to promote health, wellness, and sustainability.
- Respect: We create a culture of trust, equity, and inclusion by valuing the uniqueness of each person and community.
- Excellence: We deliver high-quality care to our patients using evidence-based medicine that is cost-effective.
- Safety: We support physical and psychological health with open communication, accountability, and improvement.