Following these tips can help most people who are having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and cool. Try using a sleep mask and/or earplugs to help you sleep.
- Run a fan or other steady “white noise” during the night if noises wake you up.
- Reserve the bed for sleeping, sickness or sex only. Do your reading or TV watching in another room.
- Keep your hands and feet warm. If needed, wear warm socks and/or gloves to bed.
- Wear loose-fitting nightclothes. The more comfortable you are, the better you will sleep.
- Try not to sleep with disruptive bed partners such as your children, pets, or spouse.